May 27, 2011

My Great Australian Adventure


Ever since I learned about Australia in a grade school social studies class I have been hooked. I am fascinated by this unique island continent. It is home to the Great Barrier Reef, a famous natural wonder, the vast and rugged Outback, enchanting Uluru (Ayer's Rock), kangaroos and miles and miles of breathtakingly beautiful coastline. I have an obsession with oceans, of any kind. Perhaps this is why I felt and still do feel compelled to visit this exotic country in the Southern Hemisphere. My first trip to Australia was in July of 2007, the summer after my Sophomore year of college.
Surf Camp
I was traveling there for a study abroad Semester at Macquarie University just outside Sydney. My semester got off to a great start with a surfing trip up the coast with other study abroad students from all over the world. A month into my time in Australia I injured my rotator cuff playing softball, and sadly had to return home. Since I assumed I had seven months to spend in Australia, I did not even do all of the things I wanted in Sydney, let alone the rest of Australia. I feel like I was given one night of an amazing ice cream cone, while the rest of ripped out of my hand. That little taste of Australia has made me eager to return, and finally this summer I will be able to go back to Australia.


My Kangaroo Buddy
I will be taking a 20 day solo backpacking trip to Australia, departing July 5th and returning August 3rd. One of my biggest regrets is that I did not get to finish out my study abroad semester, so I figured I might as well travel while I am young or I might not get the opportunity to go. Fortunately for me I work at a school and have two months off for summer vacation, unfortunately not very many other people can take off work for a month to come with me. So solo travel it is... For the first two weeks I will be Staying in hostels in Sydney and spending two nights in the Blue Mountains, a UNESCO World Heritage Area about an hour outside of Sydney. The Blue Mountains are on the top of my list of places I was going to go when I was in Australia in 2007. On July 17th I am going on a tour of the East Coast of Australia through the company Ozxposure for 15 days. This tour company specializes in small group tours with 14 to 25 people, with many solo travelers. I decided to give it a shot, even though traveling for over two weeks with people I do not know is pretty daunting. Their slogan is 'One van. One leader. Many adventures!' I am hoping to meet some interesting people on this tour, as well as see some amazing Australian places. 


(http://www.letstrekaustralia.com/tours/EDX.html) <~~~ Eastern Dream Tour


Tour Route


The tour starts in Sydney, we then head up the east coast to surf camp for a few days, the next day we arrive and spend the night in picturesque Byron Bay. Next, we cross the border into the state of Queensland and visit Steve Irwin's famous Australian Zoo (very excited for this!). Day 4, 5 & 6 are spent at Rainbow Beach and exploring the unique  Fraser Island ,a World Heritage site as well as the largest sand island in the world.Days 7 & 8 we head to the outback and stay on a working cattle station, where our meals are cooked over an open fire and we get to partake in a goat rodeo. Next, we head to the coast and Airlie Beach. Here we board our private chartered yacht for a 2 Day/2 Night Whitsunday sailing experience. The Whitsunday Islands are a collection of continental islands of various sizes off the tropical coast of Queensland, and in the midst of the great barrier reef. Days 12, 13 & 14 we head to Mission Beach and then to Cape Tribulation and the rainforest before heading back down to the city of Cairns. Day 15 we  board our sailing yacht  for a full day exploring the Outer Barrier Reef. I will then spend two more nights in Cairns before I fly back to Sydney and the following day return home. I am very excited for my trip, and will keep updating with posts about how I am going to pack for 30 days in a suitcase that cannot exceed 33 lbs, what I am going to do with my time since I discovered that my 18 hour flight from LA to Sydney does not have personal T.V.'s like the last one I took, and how I picked which hostels out of the hundreds Sydney, Katoomba and Cairns that I am going to stay at. As well as the intersting wish list/ packing list I have come up with. I am pretty sure over half of it is not going to fit...


Great Barrier Reef

Has anyone visited Australia? Wants to visit Australia?
BAS

No comments:

Post a Comment