June 3, 2011

Friday Travel Photos

There are so many places I want to visit that I decided to do mini posts on Fridays about places I have been and loved, as well as many destinations I hope to make it to in the future.

International
Rosmuc, County Galway, Ireland 


 I took this picture on a vacation to Ireland when I was seventeen. It is an extremely gorgeous part of Ireland that also has a very special meaning to me. My grandmother grew up on this 'farm' by the ocean and our family still lives there today. Ireland is the first international place I remember traveling to. My sister, mamo (Gaelic for grandmother) and I spent a month here when I was ten. Coming from the big city of Chicago to rural Ireland is an experience I will never forget. We stayed in the thatch cottage that my grandmother and her siblings grew up in, however now it has several very important improvements: a real roof, a bathroom, a refrigerator and a telephone...

Rosmuc is a village in the heart of the Conamara Gaeltacht of County Galway. It lies halfway between the town of Clifden and the city of Galway. Irish is the predominantly spoken language. The District Electoral Division of Turlough, Rosmuc, state that Rosmuc is the most strongly Irish-speaking area in the country. According to an analysis of the census a total of 91.9% of adults over nineteen years old said they spoke Irish on a daily basis. The population of Rosmuc is estimated to be around five hundred people.

U.S.A.
Charleston, South Carolina

I took this picture on a Spring Break trip to South Carolina in 2009. I fell in love with Charleston. It has gorgeous beaches, beautiful weather and a historic feel. This picture was taken at the Boone Hall Plantation where part of the movie The Notebook was filmed. 

Charleston is located near the middle of South Carolina's coast at the point where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers meet to form the Atlantic Ocean. In 1670 it was settled as its original name Charles Towne. Charleston is well-known for its unique culture, which blends traditional southern American, English, French, and West African elements. There are many amazing things that draw visitors to Charleston. The city is a mecca for art and architectural students with its hundreds of galleries and unique well preserved architecture. Also, Charleston has a long and important history and is home to a myriad of museums and historical sites. Of course the balmy weather, constant sunshine and pristine beaches are also the main reasons people travel to Charleston.

BAS

4 comments:

  1. Did you take these pictures yourself? What an awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ireland. It was fun when we were there, but mum and mamo kept dragging us around to meet relatives and friends. Kate, Carly, and I couldn't stay awake on the way to Mamo's old home, because the jet lag was so bad.

    -Still your youngest cousin

    ReplyDelete
  3. The farther you go, however, the harder it is to return. The world has many edges, and it's easy to fall off.

    ReplyDelete