April 6, 2011

Blog Beginnings

 

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that 
you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. 
     Explore. Dream. Discover."

— Mark Twain

I have thought about writing a blog many times over the years, and finally decided to just go for it. A few years ago when I joined Twitter I came up with LiveDreamTravel as my username. Since then it has become my personal mantra, so I thought it would be a fitting title for my blog. LiveDreamTravel will feature things I am passionate about such as travel, books, photography, feminism, Australia and animals. Thought provoking things that I read about, or hear on the news will also likely make appearances. 

One of the most influential and exciting things in my life is travel. The quotation above, by Mark Twain, is one of my absolute favorites. Any time I find myself getting too comfortable with my life, or wondering if traveling is worth all of the money that I am saving I read it and am instantly inspired. The quote reminds me that while using my travel fund to move into my own apartment seems like a great thing to do right now, in comparison to a solo backpacking trip I am taking across Australia this summer there is no contest. In twenty years I probably won't even remember the apartment address, but I know I will always remember what I have experienced in the places I have traveled and the adventures I have embarked upon. 

I came across a few travel statistics recently. According to the U.S. State Department in January 2011 only 37% of United States citizens have valid passports. This means that two out of every three Americans cannot even drive up to Canada, let alone travel anywhere else in the world. This statistic is mind boggling to me. I obtained my first passport at 15 months old and am currently on my third one. I definitely thought we would be leaning more towards the 71% of United Kingdom citizens that have passports, or at the very least over the 50% mark.

I don't think anyone reads this blog yet, nevertheless I thought I would ask a few questions about the topic. I would love to hear any and all responses! Did these statistics surprise you? Do you have a valid passport? Do your parents/siblings? Why do you think so few Americans have passports?

BAS

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... the statistics don't really surprise me. I don't have a passport because when I was growing up my family never had the money to travel to other countries (when we went to Canada you still didn't need a passport to travel there) and then based on the circumstances my life has taken now, I still do not have the money, time or freedom to travel.

    ReplyDelete