April 13, 2011

Why Don't More People Watch Parenthood?

Parenthood: Tuesdays 9pm CST on NBC
I have a busy life this year with work, school, babysitting, and teaching Irish Dancing among other things. I watch very few shows on a weekly basis. Usually I DVR everything, and catch up on shows a few weeks or months later. However, the one show that I watch religiously every week is Parenthood. I absolutely cannot figure out why more people are not watching this amazing show. My mom watches parenthood every week as well, it is rare for us to find a TV show that we can both enjoy and relate to. Parenthood is a compelling and interesting drama with three-dimensional characters and amazing actors.

One of my favorite things about Parenthood is that it is told from the point of view of the grandparents, parents and children equally. I can relate to the coming of age problems fifteen year old Haddie Braverman is dealing with, but at twenty-four I can also understand and relate to the fears and behaviors of her parents, Kristina and Adam Braverman. Parenthood is a unique show on television, it portrays families, not in the cookie cutter, house in the suburbs with a white picket fence kind of way, but in a real way. Families are messy and challenging, everyone experiences it. Parenthood more than exemplifies it, but is also shows the strong bonds that families have. A family that is there for you through divorces, medical issues, infidelity and betrayals. Parenthood does not shy away from any topic no matter how uncomrfortable or awkward. It deals with readl issues that face families such as Asperger's Syndrome (an autism spectrum disorder), substance abuse, divorce, teenage rebellion, interracial relationships and many more relevant topics.

Parenthood chronicles the trials and tribulations of three generations of the very large, very colorful and imperfect Braverman clan. It was developed for television by Friday Night Lights’ Jason Katims (love him!) and based on Ron Howard’s 1989 film. Parenthood is now in it's second season hasn’t attracted a ton of viewers which is such a shame. If you are not watching you are missing out on a poignant and powerful show that celebrates the family itself in a hilarious and completely relatable way.

The cast absolutely bursting with talent from Craig T. Nelson playing gregarious patriarch Zeek Braverman (Coach, Blades of Glory, The Proposal) and Lauren Graham playing the quirky, devoted single mom Sarah Braverman (Gilmore Girls, Evan Almighty, Because I Said So) to Mae Whitman (Independence Day, One Fine Day, Hope Floats) portraying intelligent and sensitive but rebellious Amber Holt and Peter Krause (Six Feet Under, We Don't Live Here Anymore, Dirty Sexy Money) as dependable eldest son Adam Braverman.

If you have never watched this brilliant show I hope you go online and watch a few episodes or catch it on Tuesdays. Give it a chance, you won't regret it. I am sincerely hoping this is not going to be another show that I enjoy watcing that gets canceled without a decent ending.
                                                                                   
Do you watch Parenthood?
What are some shows you watch every week?
Are there any great shows you think are under watched? 

                                                                                    BAS






2 comments:

  1. I love Parenthood! I miss it a lot from class this semester but I watched it all fall and its always entertaining:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and enjoy Parenthood! (I'm a guy...Are there a lot of guy viewers out there?) Maybe more people don't watch it because of the title....or they watch the first episode and don't give the show a chance. I think they do an amazing job capturing the right moment of each and every character. No character is left behind with this huge cast of a show. (The not enough viewers might also do with the station it's on. NBC doesn't get a lot of viewers for some reason.)

    I watch a lot of TV. (I enjoy the many different styles of drama currently on - Breaking Bad, Justified, Dexter, Games of Thrones, and many more.)

    I think two shows that are under watched are Southland and Men of a Certain Age (two shows that also deal with realistic issues) One other show that recently got canceled that I felt was under watched was ShowTime's United States of Tara (deals with a woman with Dissociative Identity Disorder) This season wasn't it's best season but it was still entertaining.

    I think it would be the perfect show for ABC Family and will go along with it's slogan "A new kind of family." or whatever it is...I'd be confident that it would do good there. (Bah it sucks knowing Secret Life is doing good. That show is just horrible and unrealistic.) It's actually doing good on NBC though. (though I'm afraid about the station starting to pull many viewers if their fall line-up helps them out at all...I guess we can hope it gets more viewers if it happens. :))

    ReplyDelete